Thursday, October 18, 2012

Talk Less, Listen More

The following is based on episode 034 of The Goal Wizard Show. It has been adapted for publication here.

Use the WAIT formula

Why Am I Talking? Probe for your motives behind a conversation. This is a powerful question to ask yourself. Do you want to engage in real dialog with another individual? Are you listening to what is being said (or unsaid?)? Or do you just want to talk about yourself?

And don't be afraid of this simple answer - "I don't know. Let me find out more about it' when...you don't know! Avoid being stubborn and dogmatic - nobody likes to be around a "know-it-all".

Know what to listen to

We are constantly being bombarded with messages from the mass media, politicians, religions, our parents and relatives, schoolteachers, bureaucrats...learn to filter out the noise. Be selective in what you choose to expose yourself to. I don't watch commercial or cable television, I don't watch local news, I don't read the local daily newspaper, I don't listen to the radio; I'm very selective in what I do decide to watch, listen to or read.

When in conversation, notice the body language, tone of voice and patterns of behavior if you have a history/relationship with this individual.

Question more

That's the slogan of one of my favorite news channels RT. Ask questions, but don't come across like an interrogator. Show you're really listening, not just hearing the words. Be present with the individual, don't be there just bodily, be there bodily, mentally and emotionally.

Have a Great Week!

Always take the Red Pill
Tim

Listen to The Goal Wizard Show
Be my friend on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter 

Contact me HERE: thegoalwizard@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment